Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Sweet Picture


Yesterday I was browsing the parenting shelves at the library. I know, I'm not a parent yet, but hey - sometimes there's some pretty neat stuff on those shelves. Anyway, out of the corner of my eye I noticed a most charming picture.

A tall woman, maybe 30 years old, was standing there in a pretty blouse and a long denim skirt with her thick brown hair braided around her head. In her arms was a blond-headed little boy, and the two of them were singing quietly together. The mama would sing a phrase of the alphabet song, and the little boy would sing the next phrase, all the way to the end of the song.

Although, to be honest, his phrases didn't sound very much like the song I'm used to and I probably never would have recognized the song if she weren't singing with him. But it didn't matter. That mama was having fun with her little boy, cultivating a good relationship with him, and teaching him all at the same time.

As I moved to the cooking aisle, the mama took a book off the shelf and started discussing the cover photo with him. "What are the people doing?" "What are those tools for?"

I just had to smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment