Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Cheapest Way to Read a Book


Has there ever been a time when you wanted very much to read a book, but the price tag was just a little too high to go out and buy it? That happens to me, well, practically all the time. So what's the solution? Go to the library. :D

I absolutely love public libraries. They usually have a shelf of books for sale at cheap prices, a wide variety of classics, a decent selection of Christian books, and sometimes even free stuff.

But what if they don't have the book you want? That also happens to me a lot. A conservative Christian homeschooler writes a book - a really good book - but somehow it doesn't rate so high on the general public's list of great books, so our library doesn't get it. No problem. Interlibrary loan it! Your local public library will more than likely be happy to interlibrary loan books for you from any other library in the country, even if that means college and seminary libraries. Very rarely have they actually been unable to find a book.

So now I get to read all the good books I want, without spending a dime. And of course, if I REALLY like a book I can go ahead and buy it. At that point Amazon comes in handy.

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I LOVE public libraries! The Jessamine County Public Library is the best county library I've found in Kentucky so far.
    I'm from Ohio, but I came to school at Eastern Kentucky University because it's way cheaper than most schools in Ohio. Also, a lot of the public libraries in Ohio are in distress right now, because the state government is trying to cut their funding and move it around to other departments, which is a really sad thing.
    Anyway, I'm glad to see your following mine and Rachel's blog! We'll follow yours too. I really like the title. :-)

    -Laura
    (one of the rambling roomies)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessamine County? Hmmm, I've not been there; but I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in the area. :) I'm originally from Ohio, too, and remember getting a lot of nice books at the Cuyahoga County library up there about fifteen years ago. That is sad about their funding being cut. Welcome to KY!!! Be careful; you might fall in love with it and stay.
    Thanks! Your blog is hilarious. I love it.

    ReplyDelete