Monday, July 8, 2013

African, Asian, European, Native American . . .

So I've always known that I had European blood (from England, Germany, and Hungary on Dad's side). Poppy seed kuchen, anyone?

And I've pretty much always known that I had Cherokee blood from Mom's side.
 
But lately I've made some new and very happy discoveries.

Pappaw and Mammaw (Mom's parents) have always told us that we are descended from the tribe of Manasseh, so I always knew I had a little Jewish blood, which is nice enough. But then I started thinking - who was Manasseh's mother? If you don't know, you probably at least know the name of his father or brother. Does "Ephraim & Manasseh" ring a bell? And their dad's name was Joseph, right? Well, who did Joseph marry? An Egyptian woman! So that makes me a little African!

But there's more. What continent is Israel in? Think about it now. It's not Europe. It's not Africa. That leaves Asia; so I'm part Asian!

As far as I know, I'm not related to any Antarctic explorers, Australian Aborigines, or South Americans, but I'm a sister to Jesus' siblings in all those groups! And with having biological relations to people in four of the world's seven continents, I feel like Dad's word for it - Cosmopolitan - is a very good one. And I'm glad it applies to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment